Sunday, August 29, 2004

As seems to be my custom, I just discovered this BBC Poll of the Greatest Opening Lines of Rock Songs , which ran last April. Here are a few of my own favorites:

*Some people say little girl should be seen and not heard, but I say "Oh bondage, up yours!" -- X Ray Specs, "Oh Bondage, Up Yours!"

*"In the day we sweat it out on the streets of a runaway American dream/At night we ride to mansions of glory in suicide machines." -- Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run"

*"Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet?" -- Bob Dylan, "Visions of Johanna"

*"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste." -- Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil"

*"Everybody's heard about the bird, buh-buh-bird-bird-bird buh-bird is the word, uh well-ah bird-bird-bird buh-bird is the word ... " -- The Trashmen, "Surfing Bird"

*"I am Governor Jerry Brown, my aura smiles and never frowns -- soon I will be pres-i-DENT!" -- The Dead Kennedys

*"Heeeeeeeere, kitty, kitty!" -- The Cramps, "Can Your Pussy Do the Dog?

*"All aboooooard -- for night train!" -- James Brown, "Night Train"

*"A cheap holiday in other people's misery!" -- "Holidays in the Sun," Sex Pistols

*"Well he shot four men in a cocaine deal ... he left them lying in an open field, full of old cars, with bulletholes in the mirror...he tried to do his best, but he could not..." --"Tired Eyes," Neil Young

...and, of course, my absolute Number One favorite opening line: "Come on, everybody, let's do the hawg!" -- Eddie Kirk, "the Hawg (Part One)."

No comments: