Tuesday, May 20, 2003

If you haven't heard JuneCarter Cash's solo album, Press On, by all means try getting it or at least dialing up some songs off the Internet. As soon as I got the news of her death, I thought of that great anthem she sings with Johnny on that record, "The Far Side Banks of Jordan." It was touching enough the first time I heard it, because all you could think is of Johnny's illness, and how she'd probably be left behind sometime not far off. Turns out the opposite happened and a song that used to be a promise has, I prefer to believe, become a fact.

And I'll be waiting on the far side banks of Jordan.

I'll be waiting drawing pictures in the sand.

And when I see you coming, I will rise up with a shout

And come running through the shallow waters reaching for your hand.

No comments: