Wednesday, October 01, 2003



I got a poison headache, but I feel alright....

I'm not going to go into the significance of this record to my life. I've already done that elsewhere. Instead, just a small plug here for the new SACD version, which delivers a remarkably crisp sound even if you don't have -- and at the rate things are going, never will have -- an SACD player. Dylan's best album also, for my money, had Dylan's best band, which helps make it the continually fascinating record it is.

Some great things about Blonde on Blonde that the SACD version makes greater:

* Kenneth Buttrey's mid-chorus snare-drum rolls in "One of Us Must Know." I don't know if roll is actually the word, though. I'm a band flunkie.

*Buttrey, keyboard player Al Kooper, and whoever is playing left-channel guitar on "Memphis Blues Again." I don't even pay attention to the lyrics anymore. I just listen to these guys in the background, throwing a jam session of their own.

*Dylan's rich harmonica and those precise cymbals on "Visions of Johanna."

Note for later: I think The Child of a Hoodlum, Wrapped Up in Your Arms will make an excellent title for either a reflective gangsta memoir or the next writer who can't think up a decent title on his own.

No comments: