Friday, February 18, 2005

More proof that I just don't get Ward Just: The Morning News has this amusing round-robin literary competition going on where books face off against each other, with the winner in each individual challenge going head to head with other books. An individual judge reads two competing books and decides a winner, and then another judge reads the winning book and another challenger, and so on. Someone named Margaret Mason recently decided that Ward Just's snoozefest An Unfinished Season is a better book than Edwidge Danticat's The Dew Breaker, a judgment I find totally baffling. Now Jessa Crispin is scheduled to give her take between the Just book and David Mitchell's superb Cloud Atlas, which is one of the best books of the year. Do I want to hear what she has to say or would I rather have spikes driven into my eyes?

No comments: