Monday, June 20, 2005

File this under the "How Dumb Am I?" epiphany of the day.

In a CNN.com story that Katie Holmes is embracing Scientology, comes this little tidbit:

In response to a question about whether he'd asked Holmes not to do "Factory Girl" -- about Edie Sedgwick and Andy Warhol -- because of the drug use in the movie, Cruise says: "I don't even know what 'Factory Girl' is."

I've never heard of this proposed movie either, but I've definitely heard of Edie Sedgwick and the Rolling Stones song "Factory Girl" -- I just never put them together.

Should I? I thought the "factory" in the song was a real factory, and the girl was the kind of working class slob Mick Jagger might fantasize about but wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. Now, given the film's title -- and the fact that Edie had not only been a member of Andy Warhol's milieu who hung out at his studio, the Factory, as well as a Jagger conquest (as was Bob Dylan, who wrote a much greater song about her) -- it looks like one of Jagger's typical poison-pen kiss-offs to an old flame.

Anyway, I look forward to the movie, although not as much perhaps as I look forward to seeing her groom-to-be Cruise get squirted again. That was the funniest thing I saw on TV in forever -- the more the tape ran, the more I giggled. It was like I was being tickled to death. I love it when self-absorbed pretentious Hollywood kings lose their shit in public, don't you?

No comments: