Monday, January 11, 2010

I'm not crazy about my wall calendar.

In the past, it's been something rock and roll or art-oriented. This year, it's Shives Funeral Home. every time I look at it I think "You're not going to live forever." Mortality, fleeting time, the vanity of human wishes ...

I've been reading a lot of Lydia Davis and Henry David Thoreau, who may or may not have something to do with each other. (There's a story to come yet titled "Cape Cod Diary.") I read Thoreau for reasons that have nothing to do with the environment, and Davis because I'm going to review her stories, which I'm rather looking forward to doing, if I can somehow amass a lot of notes into a few good paragraphs. Remains to be seen. It's not entirely true what they say, that learning to write short is good for you as a writer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We used a photo really similar for a cd cover initial design for our new music artists website - really insightful post on how this could be viewed. thanks.