Sunday, January 09, 2011

33 Reputedly Great Albums I Have Never Heard

At least, not that I recall.

I’m a sucker for lists of anything, and like anyone I go through them and mentally calculate how up-to-date or culturally aware I am, or not.

The following are records that all ranked on Mojo’s 1995 list of the Greatest Albums Ever Made, and while I’ve heard of all of them, and in some cases maybe a few tracks, no, in the ends, these are all records I don’t really know and certainly do not own.

I post them here, along with ranking number, as a reminder of what to buy the next time I’m in Papa Jazz and don’t know what to look for.

21. David Bowie - Station To Station
25. David Bowie - Hunky Dory
31. Otis Redding - Otis Blue
32. James Brown & The Famous Flames - Live At The Apollo Vol. 1
36. The Byrds - The Notorious Byrd Brothers
40. Big Star - Third (AKA Sister Lovers)
42. Gram Parsons With Emmylou Harris - Grievous Angel
47. The Byrds - Younger Than Yesterday
48. Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
56. Donald Fagen - The Nightfly
59. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
60. Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
62. Can - Future Days
63. The Beatles - With The Beatles
64. Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band - Clear Spot
66. Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
67. The Wailers - Catch A Fire
68. Massive Attack - Blue Lines
72. Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
73. Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill
77. Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
78. Joni Mitchell - The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
81. The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night
84. Randy Newman - Good Old Boys
85. Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen
86. Marvin Gaye - Here, My Dear
87. Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
88. Margaret O'Hara - Miss America
89. Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
93. Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star
94. The Smiths - The Smiths
97. The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle
100. Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom

No comments: